Monday, February 26, 2007

Black out, Dirts and Goats


It's day three and I feel like all I've been doing is eating and sleeping. I'm staying at a hotel on the beach in Kokrobite which is in West Accra the capital of Ghana. I've spent the last couple of days trying to get settled and adjusted to life here. For instance my lights black out after 10pm, there's hardly running water in the morning, and I feel like I've eaten at least 8oz of dirt so far. I can't seem to stop washing my hands. The goats roam the streets like tax paying citizens and are obstinate when crossing the streets. Scrawny neighborhood cats chase the skinny goats in the morning and I wake up to several roosters singing some version of a concerto. All this to say that my adjustment has been fairly smooth. Althought there is not much of an infrastructure, everything is ordered and people manage. I love that everyone is a business owner and selling everything you can imagine from a boxed store, reminds me of my Grams. It's quite interesting.

No comments: